On Thursday, 13th of February 2020; Botho University through the Students and Alumni Affairs Department held the second edition of the Annual Student Excellence Awards that were launched last year to recognize and celebrate success stories of our students beyond classroom in the spirit of the Botho Graduate Profile.
The Botho Graduate Profile embodies traits that as the University we envision ingrained in every graduate that emerges from us.
The guest speaker for the night was Mr Percy Raditladi; a locally renowned serial entrepreneur and corporate guru, having worked for Botswana National Sports Commission (BNSC) as CEO, Director of Corporate Affairs – Kgalagadi Breweries, MD for G4S Nigeria and having founded Yarona FM, VeriMark Botswana and various other businesses.
Mr Raditladi made emphasis on the need to apply enthusiasm and passion in everything one does. He applauded all those who were recognized on the night to keep on pushing for greatness.
He went on to commend Botho University for producing outstanding graduates and even demonstrated what he meant by Botho producing excellent graduates as he came with two (20 of his mentees; Pako Mannathoko and Duncan Lesiapeto both former graduates. Pako operates a bus e-ticketing system with over 35 buses through his company, HeatSync Investments.
Duncan is Mr Raditladi’s newly appointed Executive Assistant with just a month but has since performed impressively.
This was received very well by the audience which included Students, University Management, Faculty representatives and Stakeholders.
Other speakers for the night included the Pro Vice Chancellor for Employability and Development, Mrs Priya Iyer who talked about the Botho Graduate Profile and need for students to keep on excelling.
Group Director of YMH, Mr Dumi Lopang who highlighted how impressed he was about the University being at the helm of mainstreaming innovation and Mr. Molatedi Kgotla, the Group HR Head for Choppies who also shared his very positive experience having engaged Botho University students and graduates over the past year.
The very engaging Awarding ceremony was followed by a lively networking cocktail session attended by all who were part of the ceremony.
The stars for the night were as follows:
- The BGP ambassador of the Year – Lorato Mmereki
- Outstanding Student Innovator of the Year- Thabisang Letsamao
- Most effective BU-SRC Member of the Year- Kabo Dikatholo
- Outstanding International Student of the Year- Tommi E. Numbala
- Outstanding Student with Special Needs- Bonno Shanashandi
- Club with Outstanding Commitment to Service- Youth Alliance for Leadership & Development in Africa (YALDA Botho University Chapter)
- Club with Outstanding Event of The Year- Botswana Student Network (Botho University)
- Outstanding Student Club Advisor of the Year – Mr Gift Chabwe (Botho University Christian Movement)
- Outstanding Alumni of the Year- Star Chibemba; pioneering awareness of the Health Information industry in Botswana
- Most Innovative Alumni of the Year- Didintle Moreki; founder and MD of Organic Naturals Skin Care Solutions
- Overall Sportsperson of the Year- Gorata Gabankitse, IAAF Professional Athlete
- SportsWoman of the Year- Constance Kuswan, Table Tennis Champion
- Sports Man of the Year- Gorata Gabankitse, IAAF Professional
- Athlete Team of the Year- Volleyball Men’s Team
- Coach of the Year- Petrus Lochia (Women’s Football Coach)
This time around, the recipients also got vouchers worth P700 to P150. The SRC for the year 2019 was also recognized for contributing to the great governance and welfare of the student community.